Bad Hofgastein is old spa resort in the centre of one of Austria's largest ski areas, the Gastein Valley. The area is famous
Latest Resort News
- Jasna / Jasna ski pass prices
- San Martino di Castrozza / New Cigolera 6-passenger detachable chairlift in San Martino
- Vars / The Chabrières gondola lift in Vars is being turned into a Telemix combined lift
- Kals / New 6-seater chairlift in Kals am Großglockner
- Cortina d'Ampezzo / Cortina d'Ampezzo Skipass Prices
- Cortina d'Ampezzo / What’s new in Cortina for the 2019-2020 Winter Season
- Limone Piemonte / Riserva Bianca - Limone Piemonte skipass prices
- Grindelwald / Jungfrau: Grindelwald ski pass prices
- Stubai Glacier / SportScheck Testival in Stubai Glacier
The Latest Articles
Snowpass Card – the first European wide season ski pass
Italy’s Bardonecchia has been named the cheapest family ski resort this winter
For the first time in 12 years, Bardonecchia, which is located in the Piedmont region of Italy and has over 100 km of slopes, has emerged as the cheapest choice for a great value ski holiday in the latest Family Ski Resort Report.
- D E JonesMaria Alm
A lot of new lifts, a little bit less choice of mountain stains, well prepared, snow guaranteed due to altitude, interesting area overall.
Meribel is located between Val Thorens and Courchevel, putting it at the heart of Les Trois Vallees, the largest ski area in the world. Naturally, this provides the area with direct access to more terrain than most mortals could ski in a lifetime and unbelievable views from just about any point within its boundaries. Whereas Val Thorens seems to focus a bit more on the skiing alone and Courchevel puts emphasis on high-end lodging and fine dining, Meribel is focused on the younger generation and is the nightlife epicenter of the area. As we moved around the resort it seemed we there was always a party or concert within arms reach, even while on the slopes (i.e. la Folie Douce). This area features every kind of nighttime entertainment and manages to spread it out so you are never far from the party. Before I scare off anyone that values their sleep I should mention that the village does spread out both up the slopes and away from the village's core, providing a number of lodging options that sit outside of earshot of the aforementioned entertainment options. It also includes a plenty of family-friendly dining options and activities. The final thing worth noting is the area also features a number of chalets at far lower rates than are available in neighboring Courchevel and a great option for families and groups looking to all stay together at a more reasonable rate. I personally was very surprised by the size of these homes, along with their amenities and beautiful modern French country décor. These homes feature full kitchens (and private chef options) and do sit far enough outside of the core that guests can completely ignore the village area if so desired. All in all, I would characterize Meribel primarily as the young person's access point to the largest and widest variety of terrain in the French Alps. It can work for families and couples though Val Thorens or Courchevel are generally going to be safer choices.
A beautiful village and part of the lovely Hochkonig. With a new gondola from Dienten to Gabhubel, all lifts are now modern and the integration of the Konigstour complete.
Latest Resort Votes
- Europe - Austria - Kitzbühel4.6
- Europe - Austria - Nassfeld4.5
- Europe - Spain - Formigal3.5
- Europe - Spain - Formigal4
- Europe - Austria - Nassfeld4.1
- Europe - Austria - St. Anton4.5
- Europe - Switzerland - Samnaun4.3
- Europe - Austria - Ischgl4.6
- Europe - Spain - Boi-Taull4.1
- Europe - Spain - Masella4.1